Wednesday 14 December 2011

My personal statement

I have always had a keen interest in creating visual art and I believe my perspective as a disabled person is unique. In the field of computer generated art my disability doesn’t prevent me from developing my ideas freely. I see further study in my chosen field as liberating me to engage in my passion.

My particular area of interest has been in digital graphic design and animation. During my time at secondary school I discovered how to use computer software to create digital graphics; this opened a new avenue of interest and encouraged me to study art further. I started using Coral draw and photo paint, and then moved on to photo shop and flash animation. My interest grew massively during sixth form when I started to use a multitude of software, combining techniques to create a finished product. I developed an interest in other artists and became aware of their technical skills and creative ability.

When I was very young I had an immense fascination and interest in animation and films. Wallace and Gromit was the catalyst that immersed me in my own animation productions, using a USB camera with a Lego studio set. I developed a need for attention to detail, perfecting the practical aspect of producing animations from Lego. My fascination with animation continued by watching animations on the internet and learning more about the application of digital animation. This became increasingly important to me as my disability deprived me of my arm movement and I could no longer use clay and Lego in animation. Although initially frustrating, my disability has always made me open to new approaches and experiences.

During my formative years I was involved in the arts in one form or another. I was a member of Stagecoach and the school drama club, learning skills in communicating ideas to an audience. I later became involved in integrated dance workshops and performances. This involved the skills of collaboration with both profoundly disabled and able bodied peers. I believe that this has given me skills and insight into working with people of different abilities.

During the summer of last year I participated in the summer mix project organised by the Plymouth City Council, I completed the game design course. I gained skills in level design and produced a complete level in a game of my design. I was able to transfer my knowledge and skills in 3D design from this workshop to my present college course.

I also attended a radio production course, giving me insight into how hospital radio operates. I found radio a fascinating media especially for advertising. As part of a team we produced a radio programme, this involved research, collaboration and presentation within a time framework.

I have been inspired by Anthony Gormley’s   ‘The Field for the British Isles’ exhibition. I learnt how Antony Gormley directed his vision in his community based art projects, without actually taking part himself. I was able to see how as a disabled person I too could direct art projects and express by creativity.

Hearing Ian Livingstone speak at a recent Ex-play exhibition had a huge impact on me. Ian Livingstone’s story demonstrated how skills and having a good idea can be very successful. Ian Livingstone talked on the topic of ‘intellectual property’ and would like to learn more about this.

Even though I have physical limitation I see digital art and game design as an ideal medium to express my ideas and create a future carer for myself. I have a positive outlook and a willingness to commit and learn new concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment